Beloved Surrender

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step

Monday, February 28, 2011

More Than A Name

An appropriate first post for my blog might be to explain the significance of the title. It's not so much a title, as a state of mind. The word "Beloved" means "Dear to the heart" according to Webster. Good ol' Webster also tells me that "Surrender" means "to give oneself over to something, as an influence".

In my mind, typically surrendering is anything but "dear to the heart". It's not a chore that I often look forward to. In fact, it is about as equivalent as changing the cat litter in my mind. It is something I dread, every time I think I just did it I have to do it again, and honestly, it is just crappy! (Ha ha...get it...crappy??)

Now that my lovely sense of humor has come out, I will focus back on the title of this blog. Beloved Surrender is, in my mind, the process of growing to love Christ more. The ultimate act of worship is to give yourself over to Him and to His will in your life. This is not an easy task. In fact, changing cat litter is much easier in this sense. Surrendering your life, your desires, your hopes and dreams and fears all over to God is not something that is easily accomplished. This takes time, trust, and the understanding that you will likely fail before you succeed.

Lately, my life has shifted quite a bit and there has been several areas in which I feel God's calling to surrender. As I wrap up my time in college, the job search is something that has taken over my thoughts. For seven months I had the privilege of working in a church that I adored! It was an internship that gave me a taste of what's to come. Surrendering my own plans for ministry is not something that is easy or wanted. There are numerous other aspects of life that need surrendering as well. BUT....Yes there is the big "But"....I have learned and encountered Chrsist enough to know that the surrendering, though difficult and even painful, is worth every minute of it.

In essence, God's faithfulness in my life has been evident time after time. Never has He broken a promise to me, and never will He break one!! That being said, as I begin to grow and develop my relationship with Him , the idea of surrender loses its scariness and sadness and, instead, is replaced by a new feeling! I feel honored to surrender my life and my plans to Christ. It's still not always easy, but through His faithfulness I am much more trusting in the King that I surrender to.

So there you have it. Surrender, in my mind, loses the scary connotations and are instead replaced with feelings of privilege. Learning to surrender to Christ has become something that is dear to my heart, it has become beloved.

I pray that you too will experience the joy and peace that accompanies this:
"Beloved Surrender".

2 Comments:

At March 1, 2011 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Lindsay @ 402CenterStreet.blogspot.com said...

Love you Meg. :) Looking forward to walking this journey with you one step at a time.

 
At March 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Heather said...

Isn't it wonderful to know - I mean really KNOW that you are His Beloved! You are a real blessing to me and many others. So glad God has allowed us to cross paths and even stop and visit a bit :) May God continue to be your Safe Place as you journey through life!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home